In conjunction with the city-wide Porch Light Project , the Skinker DeBaliviere Shine A Light Campaign aims to increase safety in Skinker DeBaliviere by asking neighbors to turn lights on around their property in the evening.
Call to Action – Starting May 20, 2017
- Turn on your porch light
- Install lights near garages, back doors, property lines and/or gangways
- Report broken street lights
- SENIORS/DISABLED/LOW-INCOME NEIGHBORS: If you cannot afford to purchase hard-wired lighting, you can buy a solar-powered motion detector light from SDCC for only $5. ($20 value). Available starting in May. Volunteers may be available for installation. Information: (314) 862-5122 These are not for front porches.
- FREE ENERGY EFFICIENT BULBS: If you or a neighbor needs a new energy efficient bulb for your porch light, call (314) 282-7281. The light bulb and the replacement is free of charge to participants.
How Lighting Could Reduce Crime
- Improved lighting deters potential offenders by increasing the risk that they will be seen or recognized when committing crimes.
- Police become more visible, thus leading to a decision to desist from crime.
- If improved lighting leads to the arrest and imprisonment of repeat offenders they can no longer commit crimes in the area.
- New lighting can encourage residents to spend more time on their stoops or in their front yards in the evenings and thus increase informal surveillance.
- Improved lighting can encourage more people to walk at night, which would increase informal surveillance.