Neighbors Day at the Washington University Bears Basketball Game
Sunday, February 10th, 12pm & 2pm
[Washington University Field House, 330 North Big Bend]
Join Wash U Friends & Neighbors as the men and women take on University of Rochester
Men’s game: 12:00pm
Women’s game: 2:00pm
Event includes concession stand voucher, a balloon artist, pom poms, foam paws, and other family friendly fun!
Master Planning Workshop #2
The second public planning workshop will be held on Wednesday, February 13th, 6-8pm at Hamilton Elementary School. Please plan to attend this workshop and make your voice heard!
At the second planning workshop on February 13, H3 Studio and Development Strategies will present the draft Community Vision, Livability Principles, and Plan Framework Options for the Skinker DeBaliviere community. The goal of the second Public Workshop is for the community to give feedback on the planning work completed to date and help articulate a preferred Framework Plan Option. This workshop is a continuation of the Skinker DeBaliviere Urban Design & Development planning work that began in November 2012. As part of the community engagement process, all community members are invited to join us and give their input at this second of four workshops.
18th Annual Police & Firefighter Luncheon
New Date: Valentine’s Day, Friday, February 14th, 11am-4pm
[SDCC Office, 6008 Kingsbury Ave.]
This Valentine’s Day is the Skinker DeBaliviere neighborhood’s annual luncheon to show love for the Police and Firefighters who serve the Skinker DeBaliviere neighborhood. Please stop by the SDCC office to say hello and thank the police and firefighters personally for their hard work. Volunteers Needed! If you are available to donate a dish or volunteer during the police & firefighter luncheon please contact Ruth Johnson at 314-367-7267.
Presidents’ Day Bowling for Skinker DeBaliviere
Monday, February 18th, 12pm-3pm
[Pin Up Bowl, 6191 Delmar]
Looking for something fun to do on your day off?? Family and friends of all ages are welcome to come out and bowl with the neighborhood! $10 for unlimited bowling, shoe rental included. Lanes will be shared, two-game rotation. Food and Drink will be for sale. A portion of the sales from this event will be contributed to the Skinker DeBaliviere Community Council.
Arts Council 2013 Kickoff Meeting!
Monday, February 25th, 7pm
[SDCC Office, 6008 Kingsbury Ave.]
The West End Arts Council is holding a 2013 kick off meeting at 7 p.m. Feb. 25 at the SDCC office. Anyone who would like to take a role in organizing future arts-related events in the Skinker DeBaliviere neighborhood is invited to attend. The arts council is committed to “presenting cultural, educational, and entertainment programs that enrich the Skinker DeBaliviere community.”
The events already planned for upcoming year are as follows:
- Summer concert series at Four Corners Park – concerts in June, August and September
- Wintermarkt – a local reimagining of a German Christmas festival in early December
- A hands-on art workshop for neighborhood children in early June
Other events are possible, if more people step up to take leadership within the organization.
The arts council is looking for neighbors who are excited about volunteering with regular events, as well those willing to share ideas and take a leadership role in organizing events. Tasks typically undertaken by arts council members include: grant writing; creating publicity materials; booking musical talent; setting up various booths at events; planning, preparing and serving food and drink.
Also on the table for the Feb. 25 meeting is a proposal to change the name of organization. For historical reasons, the arts council has been called the ‘West End Arts Council’, however, the Council’s mission and identity is really focused on Skinker DeBaliviere and it is perhaps time to change the name to better reflect that fact.
Please e-mail email@example.com if you are interested in getting involved with this group.
The Arts Council Wants YOU to Select a Musician for the
2013 Neighbors Choice/National Night Out Concert!
Here’s How It Works:
1) Send us your suggestions for 2013 concert series musicians: The Arts Council will accept suggestions for musicians from anyone in the neighborhood until February 28th. You can send us as many suggestions as you would like—we just ask that you include a link to the band performing, if possible. Suggestions can be sent to the SDCC Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-862-5122.
2) Cast your final vote: After receiving your recommendations, we will create a poll with the names of the top 3-5 musicians. This list will be based on the frequency of suggestions for a musician and the musician’s availability.
3) Look out for an announcement of the Neighbors Choice Winner: After the voting closes, we will announce who the neighborhood selected as the featured performer for the Neighbors Choice/National Night Out Concert in August.
4) Come out to the Neighbors Choice/National Night Out Concert! : The concert featuring the musician/band selected by a vote of the neighbors will take place on a Tuesday in August (Exact Date TBD), 6-9pm at Greg Freeman Park (6000 Kingsbury Ave. at Des Peres).